Monday, June 27, 2011

A little bit of Tokyo in Paris

So ever since coming back from my study abroad trip in Japan, I've had this un-satiable void in my stomach for Japanese ramen.  I'm not gonna go into the specifics of what I consider Japanese ramen because that is an entire book in itself (the simple version is that ramen is very diverse and everyone has a different definition).  But the bottom line is that I wasn't able to fill that void in Los Angeles (Mottainai came close and I'm hoping that Tsujita will do the trick when it finally opens) and I had a crazy idea that maybe I'll be able to fill it in France.  So I did some homework (had google chrome translate some french yelp reviews) and took a few friends out to Sapporo Ramen near the Louvre.  


My expectations were low despite the occasional temptation to think this might somehow finally be the one.  The menu had a variety or ramen including Shoyu, Miso, and Tonkotsu (usually not a good sign when a shop has more than one kind of broth) as well as some other Japanese dishes like curry, katsudon, and oyakodon, but since my ramen cravings are of the tonkotsu kind, naturally I went with the tonkotsu ramen bowl.


Did the bowl exceed my expectations?  Yes.  Did the bowl fulfill my endless expedition to fill my ever so elusive Japanese ramen craving?  No.  

But let's focus on the positives first.  The chashu (sliced pork) was actually very tender and had a good flavor, the noodles were on the thicker, chewier side (which is the style I like.  Most places use a stock medium thickness noodle that honestly has no texture), and the broth actually had a mild pork flavor.  

As for the negatives; as usual the egg was completely hardboiled as opposed to the delicate soft-boiled hanjuku tamago, there was way too much ginger (which is usually an optional topping on the side anyway), there was no garlic on the side to add to the broth (pre-crushed or fresh), the noodles and broth were just a cut above average, and the kicker, the waitress didn't speak Japanese (I'm kidding about this being a negative...kind of...).  

Anyway, overall Sapporo Ramen gets a decent review for a decent ramen but the quest for the satisfying Japanese ramen outside of Japen still continues.  But I promise I won't spend the entirety of my Paris trip huting for it...

Sapporo Ramen
View Larger Map
276 Rue Saint-Honoré, 75001 Paris
Metro: Pyramides or Metro Palais Royal - Musee du Louvre

No comments:

Post a Comment